A signed Photo I found on the Web

Monday, April 26, 2010

Being a Men Dancer

So I often think to myself, why did I choose Ted Shawn as a dance icon I wanted to learn more about? The proof, for me, was in his history.

I wanted to learn more about Ted Shawn because he is the reason I have more opportunities in the dance world. He began a "revolution" of sorts for men in the dance community. It is because of his work as a dancer and choreographer that I have the opportunity to do whatever I want with my future. I can dance in a company, I can form my own company, I can choreograph on myself or anyone who chose to work with me. The possibilities are endless, and I credit Ted for that.

Starting a blog about one person makes it very clear that I think it is important for the rest of the world to know about Ted Shawn. People may wonder, "Why Ted Shawn?" "It seems like all he did was make it more acceptable for men to dance, why is he so important?" I think the public needs to know about Ted Shawn and his accomplishments because dance may not be what it is today. As a male dancer, people always say, "Don't worry, you'll be cast. You're a guy". So what, maybe that was true when guys were slim pickings, but a lot has changed. There are plenty of men dancing in today's dance community and I think they are beginning to be taken for granted. If it weren't for Ted, men could quite possibly still be few and far between.

Besides his huge contribution to the male community, Ted created Jacob's Pillow. Jacob's Pillow is an amazing outlet for young, old, new, male, female dancers to grow as artists and people. It constantly brings in new dance companies as well as famous dance companies to perform each year, giving the students who attend an opportunity to see dance they may otherwise not have seen. Just to put it in perspective of the work Jacob's Pillow brings to the dance community, here is a list of all the companies that will be performing at Jacob's Pillow this year.
Kyle Abraham/Abraham.in.Motion
CND2
Jacoby & Pronk and Dancers
Pichet Klunchun Dance Company
Dance Theater of Harlem Ensemble
Camille A. Brown and Dancers
Armitage Gone! Dance
Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Dance Company
Monica Bill Barnes and Company
Trey McIntyre Project
Yin Mei Dance
Les Ballets Trockadero de Montey Carlo
The Goteborg Ballet
Lucy Guerin Inc.
Hubbard Street Dance Chicago
The Vanaver Caravan
Nina Ananiashuili and the State Ballet of Georgia
Les Ballets Jazz de Montreal
Barak Marshall's MONGER
Shantala Shivalingappa

To view how diverse this group of companies is and more information on all the wonderful contributions Ted Shawn as done for dance, here is the link to Jacob's Pillow. I highly recommend checking it out. There is an endless supply of information and inspiration.

http://www.jacobspillow.org/

I could go on forever about the contributions Ted Shawn has made to dance and why the general public should know about him, but I'll stop here. Ted "Papa" Shawn is the grandfather of Modern dance and as a dancer, I respect my elders. Here's to you Grandpa!


No comments:

Post a Comment